Hello reader, I know how fed up you are searching for a working method to install Kodi on PS4 or PS3. I too face the same issues. I searched more than 50 sites among which almost all had the same method. Some of the sites even faked the title to attract the user. I literally gave up the idea for a while. And during one random day, I got a spark of an idea to install Kodi on PS4. And it worked like a charm. This is a bit long article, so stay tuned.
Getting started with Kodi and PS4
Kodi team doesn’t provide any direct way of installing Kodi on PS4. So we have to sideload Kodi on PS4.
So-called Plex Method – The wrong way
If I am not wrong, you would have seen tons of sites explaining the traditional Plex method. Well, if you are baffled what is this plex method, then read this paragraph. Plex method is nothing but installing Plex on PS4, instead of installing Kodi on PS4. This method doesn’t actually install Kodi, instead, it installs Plex. Plex is a software which doesn’t support illegal streaming. And you can’t stream all the content for free on plex. So Plex can’t replace Kodi. And above all, Sony won’t support piracy by providing support to Kodi on PS4.
The main reason why you can’t install Kodi on PS4 directly is “PS4 is a console(device) and Kodi is a software“. Kodi is designed to run on an OS (Windows, Linux, Android). I hope you are getting my point. So you would need an OS installed on your PS4 to run Kodi on PS4.
The method which I am going to share is simple. First we will install an OS on PS4 and then install Kodi on that OS. By this way, we can use Kodi on PS4.
Ultimate method to install Kodi on PS4
The PS4 console doesn’t support “EXE file”. So you can’t install windows on your PS4. So we will be installing Linux (Ubuntu) followed by installing Kodi on the ubuntu. To install Ubuntu, you need to create a “standalone ubuntu USB”. In simple terms, you need to make a bootable Ubuntu USB, that is capable of running the OS on the pen drive. Don’t use Live USB. It will work but your files won’t be saved. So have to install add-ons each and every time. Follow the steps carefully, to create a fully functional Ubuntu USB.
For that, you need a 16GB flash drive, Ubuntu OS and Linux Boot Loader for PS4. Since we are going to run Ubuntu on PS4, you need the PS4 bootloader to detect the bootable device.
- To do this, you need to install virtual box (A virtual machine software to run Ubuntu OS). Here we will be installing Ubuntu OS on a USB drive using the Virtual machine. By doing so, a complete Ubuntu OS will be installed in your USB drive.
Steps to create USB bootable Ubuntu
- Open virtual box software and select “New”
- Give any name for the virtual machine.
- Select the type as “Linux” and version as “Ubuntu 64 bit”.
- Select next and allocate memory for the virtual machine. (minimum 2GB)
- Select “do not add a virtual drive” in next option. And select next.
- Since we are creating a VM(Virtual machine) without HDD, it will show a warning. Click continue.
- Now the new VM will be created. Go to settings.
- Select storage from the left side, click on “empty”. Now add ubuntu iso from the virtual optical disk file.
- Select the Ubuntu disk image.
- Now check the storage tree, you will find the iso name. And select USB from the left pane.
- Now add the storage location as USB drive by clicking on the add drive icon at the right side.
- Now start the VM. It will install all the files on the USB drive.
- Now ubuntu starts, follow the further steps to install Ubuntu on USB flash drive.
- Select install Ubuntu. Don’t give Try. (it will be installed as live OS)
- Now select continue.
- Since we will be creating multiple partitions, select something else. And select continue.
- On the next screen, check the device under “device for bootloader information”. And select continue.
- If it doesn’t show free space in the previous step, select “/dev/sda” and choose new partition table. (you may have a different name).
- Now place the cursor on the free space label and click on “+” to create a new partition.
- Next step is you need to make the USB detectable by PS4. For that, you need to add the PS4 bootloader to the USB drive. Bootloader file size is around 20MB. So select the size as 20MB. And make the partition as primary, and file system as FAT32. Select mount point as windows, since we will be adding bootloader file from windows.
- Next, we need to create a partition to install Ubuntu. Keep the remaining as it is. Select the partition as primary and file system as the EXT2 file system. It doesn’t need any mount point, so select “/”. And select OK.
- Check whether there is two partition. One to add bootloader via windows and other to install ubuntu. Place the cursor on the ubuntu partition and click install now.
- It will ask for swap area, select continue.
- Since we are creating two partitions with a different file system. it is asking for confirmation. Select Continue.
- Now select your region.
- And select the language. And click continue.
- Enter username and password. Make sure to select log in automatically.
- Now your Ubuntu will be installed. Wait till the installation completes.
- After installation, your screen will look something like this. Press Enter.
- Now the process is complete. shutdown the VM. Go to File > Close.
- Select Power off the virtual machine, and select Ok.
- Now your windows will automatically detect the 20MB partition. Which we created to add the bootloader.
- Open the drive and add the files. You can download the bootloader file from here.
Thus you have successfully made standalone ubuntu USB drive. Now insert the USB drive in your PS4. And follow the below steps.
Steps to install Ubuntu on PS4
- Insert the USB Drive, and navigate to settings.
- Now select user guide.
- Select PS4 WebKit playground. Its one of the toolkit to jailbreak/root PS4. Follow these steps to exploit or jailbreak your PS4.
- Select the Linux loader from the main window.
- Now you will see the Linux console. Sometimes you might directly get ubuntu screen. You need USB keyboard for further steps.
- If you still are not having ubuntu screen, follow the below steps. Type “fdisk -l”. It will list the available partition.
- Now we are going to mount the Ubuntu partition to the main console. Type mount /dev/sdb2 newroot/ and select Enter.
- Now we will be switching the root. Type exec switch_root/newroot/ /newroot/sbin/init
- Now you will get the following message. Press “S”.
- Now the ubuntu will be loaded.
Thus you had successfully installed Ubuntu on your PS4. Now you can install kodi on this ubuntu operating system and enjoy unlimited streaming.
Steps to install kodi on PS4 using Ubuntu
It is very easy to install kodi on ubuntu. Follow the below steps to install kodi on ubuntu with 4 simple steps.
- Search for the terminal.
- Type “sudo apt-get install software-properties-common”
- It will prompt for the user password, and select “YES” when it asks for user permission.
- Type “sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa”
- Type “sudo apt-get update”
- Wait for some time till the update is completed.
- Type “sudo apt-get install kodi”
- This process takes few minutes. And if it asks for any permission give “YES”.
- Now your kodi has been installed. Search for kodi. And enjoy unlimited streaming.
Thus you have successfully installed kodi on your PS4. I hope the tutorial is clear. If you have any issue, do let me know. I would be glad to solve your issue. And during my testing, kodi runs a bit slow on PS4 Console. Since there is no proper driver for PS4 hardware. With proper driver, only you can unleash the full power of kodi on PS4. I hope the drivers will be available soon. I will update this once I get the proper drivers. And hope this helped you.
Your honest feedback will always motivate me to write more. So share your feedback as comments.